Saturday, November 5, 2011

Leon Williams - Model and More...

It was a pleasure meeting Leon just a couple of months ago, not only to find out more about him, but also to remind me that we really can't judge a book by its cover, or... its ...head shot?

Leon's modeling photos definitely grabbed my attention, but what struck me the most was learning how much more there was to this guy than just what is seen on camera.  Leon proves to not only have a natural affinity for this new found interest, but he is also a compassionate individual who dedicates a lot of his time to others: he helps adults in need of special assistance and also has a background in childhood education.

His many interests and depth of personality provided more depth to the many 'faces' (and more!) we see in his photos.  Most of all, it was great to see that Leon is a 'real' person, who fears and dreams just like anyone else, and is open to sharing his hardships and successes with others.  He doesn't let the glamor and attention of being in front of the camera allow him to forget to be himself.  Yet, he still allows himself to enjoy the fun and challenge of this new career path.

Tasleem: I think a lot of people would love to model, but they either don't have the look, or don't know who to go to or where to start. How did you get your first experience/job modeling? Were you looking for that kind of work, or did you just kind of fall into it?

Leon: My first experience/modeling job was with a free lance photographer. He helped create a start up portfolio for me which generated interest from other photographers who offered me more quality work. I fell into modeling by way of responding to ads and submitting photos I took myself, such as the always popular bathroom shoot! (laughs).  I was actually studying to become an early education teacher and I loved teaching. But unfortunately, I went through some experiences during my teaching practice in which I was treated unfairly, and this made it difficult for me to feel enthusiastic about continuing with that path. So I was looking to do something new, fun, interesting, and exciting.

Because modeling has so much to do with outer appearance, you have to obviously keep fit. What do you do to make sure you're in shape for yourself but also for the camera? And have you had to do anything additional to your workout or health routine for modeling in particular?

I honestly don't do much; my family is Jamaican so I eat! (laughs).  All I have to do is play basketball or run; I sweat off the pounds. When I'm able to get to a gym, I do the normal workouts, but I guess my secret is that when I find myself being idle, but I am on a surface that is not strenuous on the body, I do some reps. Even if I’m sitting at home or in front of a TV, I will do crunches or work on my arms and that kind of thing whenever I get a chance. I guess the credit also goes to being blessed and having good genes!

Besides having an attractive outer appearance, I think people who model, and are successful at it, need to feel comfortable in front of the camera. I mean, there’s a certain presence, connection and comfortableness with the camera that you need to have, I think. How do you feel around a camera? Did you have to get used to posing in front of one, or do you feel like it came naturally?

I have a love/hate relationship with the camera. Some of the pictures I’m in come out great, others just good or okay, while others are not so good. I dislike the camera because it catches everything; you see the flaws which remind you of what you need to work on. This could be insightful as well, though.

But I also love the camera because it allows me to be free. I don’t need to worry about anything else going on in my life when I’m doing a shoot. But you can also bring those emotions from your everyday activities and life into the shoot, to capture the essence of you! It really depends on the mood or vibe of the photo shoot. I feel it was somewhat natural for me to be in front of the camera because I just enjoy myself when I'm there. And after, when I view some of the pictures, I can look back and see what is working for me and what is not. Once you know the idea of what the photographer wants captured, you just try to portray the look. It's a fun challenge!

After I met you, and talked to you, I later saw your photos on facebook. And honestly, I almost thought they were two different people. I mean, there is a certain attitude or arrogance and ‘cockiness’ that comes across in the photos (an assumption on my part) that I don't feel at all with you in person. In person, you are so down to earth and polite and gentle in your nature. Even your regular job working with adults with special needs involves so much patience and caring and compassion.  Do you feel different than your everyday self in front of the camera? When you look at your own photos, do you see YOU, or does it feel like you're looking at someone else?

I believe that the photos reveal parts of me that don't come out as freely, or parts that wouldn't be seen on a regular basis, due to my being a quiet individual. At photo shoots, you sometimes get direction so you try to display that emotion or expression that they want on cue. But you also can add your own flare or personality. I, myself, am even impressed sometimes at the final product, but I feel I can always do better. There's always room for improvement. I'm normally shy, but once the whole concept comes together, I just feel the vibe and want to capture something hot or memorable, depending on what is being asked, to show my kids one day. Truthfully I know it's me, but even I marvel at the outcome sometimes.

I laugh at the feedback I get from others who see my photos. “No need to make a fuss over me,” I tell them, “I'm just a regular guy!” And actually, I question when and how I got to looking like I do, especially because I used to be fat. My heading on twitter is ‘Who Knew?’ because even I didn't know that I could have sex appeal.

But yes, I'm just a regular guy working in the mental health field, helping adults with special needs, or adults who struggle with substance abuse, or mental illness, and who require services that I help provide. I also love kids and still hope to teach in an elementary school classroom one day, since I went to college and acquired a degree in that field, and really enjoy teaching. I also promote events at clubs around the Atlanta, Georgia area.

As far as the modeling goes, the sexy might be what brings people out or grabs their attention. But get to know me and I'll show you there's so much more to me than just a fit body and smile! I guess that's why people find me interesting, because I come off different than what they may first assume from viewing my pictures. But as you know, once you sit down and get to know me, it’s totally different.

It seems like you have fun playing around with a variety of looks when modeling and you pull them all off really well. Do you have a favorite look, or favorite photo of yours?

I really don't have a favorite look or photo, but I'm starting to lean towards pictures of me with more clothes on, simply because it wards off unwanted attention. Also, I try to avoid photographers who just want to capture my body on camera just for their own personal gain. I like all my pictures because just modeling itself is completely out of my comfort zone. And I still question the pictures I take, or that are taken of me, due to other people’s criticism of them, but I think, “Oh well, you only live once, so live your life for you.”

People have told me my eyes are the draw in the photos, and here I thought it was my naked body (laughs). Photographers always want to capture some shot with my shirt off and I have to admit that sometimes I do too, simply because I don't walk around like that on a regular basis. When people see my pictures, they actually believe I go walking around with my shirt off. And one of the funniest comments I heard was from a friend on facebook who said, "So you’ve been hiding all that under those clothes? I would have never known." Hilarious! I like the ab shots because people think they are ‘photo-shopped’ and question if I'm a real person. (laughs). Silly huh?

Paulo Coelho, in his book The Alchemist, emphasizes the idea that if you tell the universe exactly what it is you want, and you just believe it, without worrying about HOW it will happen, the universe will conspire to make it happen for you. With that being said, if you were to take this modeling thing to where you really want it to go, what would you want to see come out of it? Maybe this is your chance to put it out there- to tell the universe what you want from it.

I would love to be a part of the international runway shows as well as different commercials and movies! Hopefully, my time will come and someone will take interest in me to help me get there. Patience is a virtue, so I don't let the fact that people I know are getting shots and having their careers take off, while I haven’t gotten to where I want to yet with this. But I’m enjoying what I’m doing right now, and I'll remain positive and stay ready!

Is there something else, either connected to modeling or even separate from it, that you are hoping to achieve? I mean, I know that modeling wasn't the career that you first trained in or what you originally expected you'd be doing, so what are your other aspirations now?

I would love to explore acting as it coincides with modeling, but my main goal was to play basketball. I'm 6'3 and was referred to as ‘a basketball player in a football player’s body,’ but I'm too delicate for that right now. I have a cist in my leg which hinders me from playing sports other than for fun, so modeling fits with what I want and can do right now. I'm still in search of what makes me happy, so I'm just living life and enjoying my loved ones.

What advice would you give to someone else who is interested in modeling but doesn't know much about what it entails besides what they see in magazines and on TV? Are there any pros and cons that stand out to you?

Modeling has allowed me to visit places I didn't have the means to before. I've been invited to events that are considered those 'only for the elite or upscale’. Being able to attend these event, in turn, allowed me to network with all kinds of individuals I would never have met before. I've experienced and seen the good, bad, and ugly of the modeling world. Anyone who is interested in modeling should always do their research and protect themselves. I would say don’t be so trusting with people in the industry.

I'm just exploring a new found self and the hand that was dealt to me. There have been a lot of ups and downs throughout the journey, but even when I'm down, I will continue to get back up and strive for a better tomorrow.

Watch this video clip of Leon Williams
from James C. Lewis on Vimeo.


You can find Leon Williams on Twitter:  @mystiquejudah

Photographs Courtesy of Noire3000 N3K Photo Studios